more options

Financial Aid

Lending Institutions

The following are examples of lending institutions that might assist you in your funding needs.

Tuition Support

FALCON Semester Scholarship

This is a competitive award distributed by FALCON and applies toward the summer or spring semester. The FALCON Semester Scholarship was started by a generous grant from the Freeman Foundation Undergraduate Asian Studies Funding Initiative and continues using FALCON funds. A limited number of scholarships are available.

If your application does not already require you to submit two letters of recommendation and a copy of your academic transcript, you must submit these with the scholarship application no later than March 1st for the Summer Semester Scholarship and April 1st for the Spring Semester Scholarship

                    FALCON Summer Semester Scholarship Application

                    FALCON Spring Semester Scholarship Application

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship

Graduate students: 

U.S. citizens and permanent residents who will have a bachelor's degree or equivalent by the beginning of the FALCON program are eligible to apply for the FLAS Scholarship. There are two awards: one for summer study and one for academic year (fall and spring) study. Each award covers full tuition plus a living stipend. The FALCON FLAS is designed for beginning and intermediate language learners. These fellowships are administered through Cornell's East Asia Program. You may apply for Summer Term (Chinese or Japanese 1160), Academic-Year (Chinese or Japanese 2260 and 3360), or both.

Undergraduate students:

U.S. Citizens and permanent residents who will be undergraduate students at the time they start the FALCON Program are eligible to apply for the Undergraduate FLAS Fellowship.  The fellowship award provides 2 semesters of partial funding totaling $10,000 and a living stipend of $5000 for the entire year.

Deadline for receipt of applications, transcripts and letters of recommendation for all 2012-13 FLAS fellowships is 4:00 pm, Monday, Feb. 6, 2012. You must also apply for FALCON.

                                2012-2013 FLAS Information and Applications


One alternative offered by many private loan companies is a career loan. These loans are designed for students who are not in degree programs, so they often require simple proof of enrollment instead of formal school certification. Please work very carefully with your bank or other funding agency to learn about the requirements for loan certification and approval.

Special notice for non-Cornell undergraduates:  Cornell University's Office of Financial Aid will only certify a private loan for an undergraduate student if they are enrolled in a Cornell degree program.